Thursday, March 16, 2006

 
I'm Freaked

That globalisation module is giving me a headache.

First Dr. R tells us that we don't have to do the normal 2500 word research paper. Then he decides he's not all that normal, and makes us do a 5000 word travel log instead.

We all thought he was pushing the limit when he screened "Shutter", that Thai horror movie about the spirits appearing in the photographs, till today's tutorial. He pretty much said, to hell with the essay and travel log. New assignment? To get into groups of three and stake out a notoriously haunted place in Singapore with our cameras. And then write an 8-page group report on it.

Class today was funny. Then again, it always is. We basically just spent an hour talking about supernatural experiences (Dr R: "Ooooh, shall we turn off the lights?") and then some smokey stuff about how globalisation can extend to the netherworld as well.

But I digress. Back to thoughts about that assignment. I really don't want to do it! I mean, it's not just a run-there-take-one-picture-and-run-away situation, but to actually go down there on three different nights. I just don't want to put myself in a situation that I may regret for life.

But I totally felt the pressure when my friends were discussing it, all excited, despite the fact that I still had the option of doing the travel log. I guess they all kinda expected me to agree to going... and I just felt like a wet blanket telling them that I wanted to think about it first. Going to places like Choa Chu Kang cemetary, Old Changi Hospital, Punggol House... ack. Not exactly my cuppa tea. Especially not something I'd agree to doing instantly. Worse still, dear Dr. R had to point at me, and say, "This one must go! Must bring the scaredy ones." Sheesh. So I shared this with some Christian friends. And the response was unanimous that no, I shouldn't go.

Am I being superstitious? Or paranoid? Or standing up for what I believe in - and when I say this I'm not even sure if it's a religion thing or a values thing or a I'm-Chicken thing.

Ok, let's say it's a religion thing. Then I must have had affimation not to go when during Mass, Fr. spoke about us staying true to what we believe in, and if we were to be like Christ, we'd have to take on His attitudes and thinking as well. But then there's that other argument a Christian brought up in class, that for those who had faith, they'd not be vulnerable to such things. So why am I afraid? Argggh.

Anyway. I've pretty much made the decision not to go.

And I want to read up about Friedrich Nietzsche. He's this German Philosopher who believes in God, but that God died. Fascinating.

Comments:
Nietztche's one hell of a funny guy.

I'm glad you made a decision babe. Just do what you feel is right.

And I haven't thanked you properly for spending time to talk to me, even though you had such a long day and was tired. I'm really grateful. =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?