Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

The Irony

"Ah, parting is such sweet sorrow!" As dawn breaks, and we say goodbye, all I long for is the darkness, where I shall be one with you again...

Ok I'm talking about my blanket.

It's been cold, rainy, and gloomy for the past 4 days. And the absolute best thing in the world to do is - obviously - snuggle up in bed all day. Sad thing is, school starts this week, so all snuggling plans have been cut short.

BUT! (Ah here comes the big B-U-T) I don't have school on this glorious (albeit wet) Wednesday, so I woke up this morning, all ready to soak up the sweet langour of this day.

Anyway.

I checked my mail this morning, and found this email from one of my dear profs, reminding me of the absolute necessity to read our national daily - beyond the entertainment and sports sections. So. Reading the papers this morning made me laugh.

I realise that ironies make the best news. The incongruity of what is expected and what actually occurs. Take today's papers for instance:

- A man rescues a young lady from drowning in an icy lake, then sues her for giving him a high fever and arthritis.

- That strange Lebanese guy who claims to be worth billions, but is wanted for cheating and fraud in other countries.

- China's excessive economic development in recent years have led to MEGA environmental problems and perhaps even a lowering of living standards.

- And horror of horrors: Cough syrups don't work. In fact, they may actually cause harm to children in the form of over-sedation. I think I am going to pass out thinking of the massive amounts of cough syrup I took as a child. Maybe that's why I now sometimes seem overly sedated.

- Then there is the story of that Filipino girl, who despite her family's poverty, returns a large bundle of cash. A story slotted amidst the many other stories of stealing and cheating.


"Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you

when you think everything is okay and everything's going right.

And life has a funny way of helping you out when you think

Everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face."

- Ironic, Alanis Morrisette

Comments:
haha yea, like the guy who tried to get rid of the mouse which then caught fire outside and ran back into his house and set his whole house on fire. yea, it was in the papers 1 or 2 days ago! haha. and ah, see you've quoted a few lines from my dear pal =)
 
Yeah! Haha i assume your "pal" is Alanis? The lyrics to "Ironic" make me want to laugh! Anyway she's my pal now too ok! I've been learning to play some of her songs! But I need you to help me fine-tune... Okay, maybe COMPLETELY re-tune. YOU're the pro! =P
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?