Wednesday, January 25, 2006
An Entry - For lack of a better title
What time is it? 9PM.
Where am I? NUS Central Library.
What am I doing? Watching Black and White silent films.
Why am I doing this? Insanity.
What I want? A ride home.
I'm tired and my nose is runny. And I'm wishing things were like in the past where I could just call and ask for dinner/a ride. BUT. Such an interesting day. Though it technically only started when I managed to drag myself out of bed at about 2.
Had my Globalisation tutorial just now. And it's really cool, cos the lecturer decided, in the spur of the moment - to hell with the original essay assignment. How cool is that? To hell with the long hours of going through books in the library, googling and wiki-ing stuff, and banging it out on the last minute. Ok, maybe the last minute thing is still valid. Anyway, he gives us this other assignment, which is to write 5000 words about some place we have travelled to. Sounds way more fun to me. =) That class is really entertaining. I'm not saying it's the most productive or informative class; quite the contrary actually. But the lecturer is so insane. Once, he went round the entire class, and asked ALL the girls what they looked for in a guy. That was like about 30 girls! He was about to go on to the guys when he decided... well, better get on with the lecture.
So that assignment was the topic of conversation during dinner. We started to talk about the places we had travelled to, blah blah. Then Kev and Raj and their friend starts to talk about India. And for the first time in my life, since I got to know them a couple of years ago, I learn that they are soon to be relatives! So enlightening. Apparently his sis is marrying her brother-in-law, and their friend is marrying her brother-in-law's sis. Crazy I tell you. They started talking about the times they went back to their relatives' village to visit, how a 23-yr-old unmarried woman was practically worthless, how the caste system was still very strong, peeing in the fields, how everyone was interconnected by marriage or something, and a zillion other fascinating things.
Ooh, and I learnt a few Hindi words: Harami=Bastard; Kuta=Dog; Chutiya=Asshole. Why they chose to teach me just these words, don't ask.
That Dinner
Oh yeah, I also promised myself to blog about Monday night's dinner.
I had a 4-6pm class, and I had made plans to go for mass at Holy Cross with Kenny and Fang Long. But, when 4.15 came, I couldn't take it, so left the class... haha. And really, I didn't feel like staying in school to wait for mass AT ALL. But as fate - no, God's will - would have it, I somehow stayed, and went to the church. I was distracted during mass, and kept looking towards the rightside of the church... at "The True Cross of Jerusalem." Well, basically, I was daydreaming alot.
After mass, we ran into a bunch of IHMers, and they suggested having dinner together. Feeling really tired, I was just so reluctant to have dinner, as I did not want to make small talk with people I did not know very well. But you know what, it turned out to be one of the best and most insightful talks that I've had in a looooooong time.
You know, in my last post, I wrote about how it felt good to be busy and stuff? Well, one of the guys shared about how the human spirit is always so agitated, how we always want to do things so quickly, how especially in Singapore, we take pride in multi-tasking, when really, we're just scratching the surface of our potentials this way, and nothing good really comes out of it. And how God's spirit is just so gentle in comparison. Even God, who could have created the world in 2 seconds if He wanted to, did one thing a day for 6 days, and rested on the 7th.
I looked back at the past week and I realised how the business wasn't all that great. As Shireen said, it was really just a temporary solution to fill up any emptiness in myself. How true. I realised I had begun to feel so mechanised (if machines could feel in the first place), just merely following schedules after schedules.
I've got more to say, but I'm kinda lazy,and the library's closing soon, so I'll just leave it at there. There.
What time is it? 9PM.
Where am I? NUS Central Library.
What am I doing? Watching Black and White silent films.
Why am I doing this? Insanity.
What I want? A ride home.
I'm tired and my nose is runny. And I'm wishing things were like in the past where I could just call and ask for dinner/a ride. BUT. Such an interesting day. Though it technically only started when I managed to drag myself out of bed at about 2.
Had my Globalisation tutorial just now. And it's really cool, cos the lecturer decided, in the spur of the moment - to hell with the original essay assignment. How cool is that? To hell with the long hours of going through books in the library, googling and wiki-ing stuff, and banging it out on the last minute. Ok, maybe the last minute thing is still valid. Anyway, he gives us this other assignment, which is to write 5000 words about some place we have travelled to. Sounds way more fun to me. =) That class is really entertaining. I'm not saying it's the most productive or informative class; quite the contrary actually. But the lecturer is so insane. Once, he went round the entire class, and asked ALL the girls what they looked for in a guy. That was like about 30 girls! He was about to go on to the guys when he decided... well, better get on with the lecture.
So that assignment was the topic of conversation during dinner. We started to talk about the places we had travelled to, blah blah. Then Kev and Raj and their friend starts to talk about India. And for the first time in my life, since I got to know them a couple of years ago, I learn that they are soon to be relatives! So enlightening. Apparently his sis is marrying her brother-in-law, and their friend is marrying her brother-in-law's sis. Crazy I tell you. They started talking about the times they went back to their relatives' village to visit, how a 23-yr-old unmarried woman was practically worthless, how the caste system was still very strong, peeing in the fields, how everyone was interconnected by marriage or something, and a zillion other fascinating things.
Ooh, and I learnt a few Hindi words: Harami=Bastard; Kuta=Dog; Chutiya=Asshole. Why they chose to teach me just these words, don't ask.
That Dinner
Oh yeah, I also promised myself to blog about Monday night's dinner.
I had a 4-6pm class, and I had made plans to go for mass at Holy Cross with Kenny and Fang Long. But, when 4.15 came, I couldn't take it, so left the class... haha. And really, I didn't feel like staying in school to wait for mass AT ALL. But as fate - no, God's will - would have it, I somehow stayed, and went to the church. I was distracted during mass, and kept looking towards the rightside of the church... at "The True Cross of Jerusalem." Well, basically, I was daydreaming alot.
After mass, we ran into a bunch of IHMers, and they suggested having dinner together. Feeling really tired, I was just so reluctant to have dinner, as I did not want to make small talk with people I did not know very well. But you know what, it turned out to be one of the best and most insightful talks that I've had in a looooooong time.
You know, in my last post, I wrote about how it felt good to be busy and stuff? Well, one of the guys shared about how the human spirit is always so agitated, how we always want to do things so quickly, how especially in Singapore, we take pride in multi-tasking, when really, we're just scratching the surface of our potentials this way, and nothing good really comes out of it. And how God's spirit is just so gentle in comparison. Even God, who could have created the world in 2 seconds if He wanted to, did one thing a day for 6 days, and rested on the 7th.
I looked back at the past week and I realised how the business wasn't all that great. As Shireen said, it was really just a temporary solution to fill up any emptiness in myself. How true. I realised I had begun to feel so mechanised (if machines could feel in the first place), just merely following schedules after schedules.
I've got more to say, but I'm kinda lazy,and the library's closing soon, so I'll just leave it at there. There.
