Wednesday, December 28, 2005

 
Strangeness

Have you ever wondered what it'd be like to be something that you know you'd never be, never want to be, or in fact, never even thought of being?

Last night, I was a budding actress.

I was looking to join a theatre company. I was in this huge maze-like building, where every room had some audition or interview or other, to join some organisation or other.

As if it was the most natural thing to do, I directed myself straight to the drama section. I knew exactly where I was headed. I found my name on a list pasted on a door, and I step in.

Seated there was a certain local actress, well known in the local theatre scene. Seems like she's the one conducting the interview. I smile and wait for her to offer me a seat. She simply looks at me and says, "Look at my dogs. Aren't they pretty?" She makes a slight gesture to look behind me.

I turn around. There is a round table. Lying curled up on the floor around it are four people, dressed in black. Sleeping. I turn back and stare at her as though she had gone mad. She stares back.

Something suddenly occurs to me. I walk over towards the sleeping people. I bend down, stroke one lightly on the head. It stirs. Each one wakes after the other. They are no longer human. Good doggies. How adorable. The next few moments go past in a blur. All I knew was that I had four pups that I had to give my undivided attention to.

Time for evaluation. Local actress tells me that I would be assessed according to four criterion - diction, expression ... her words drone on. She tells me that my my final grades are BBBD. I nod - like I understand. "Well that's it then," she says. "You did well."

I turn to leave, and she escorts me to the door.

As I step out of the room, local actress grins at me and says, "Can you believe it, some people are actually going for interviews to join these funny sports and social clubs." Our eyes met, with knowing looks. I pretend to scoff. She smiles with a slight nod. Suddenly, I knew I got the job.

And then I woke up. Strangeness.

The consequence of lack of sleep.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?